December 7, 2017
California is on Fire Again
Earlier this year, California was on fire from the north to the south. Once again fires have sprung up with four major blazes in Southern California, near very heavily populated areas, and more in San Diego County, further south. On the coast near Ventura, heading east to Santa Paula, near Sylmar, in the San Fernando valley area, and just north of Los Angeles (Bel Air) are where the worst fires are. They are being propelled by very strong Santa Ana winds. They are now the deadliest fires in California history. Videos of people making their escape from the fast-moving flames are terrifying. Firefighters and sheriffs, going house to house to make sure mandatory evacuations are followed, are exhausted.
“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” (Psalm 46:1; KJV)
Give Him 15 minutes in prayer:
- Weep with those who mourn. Intercede with compassion for the hundreds that have lost everything.
- At least 31 people have lost their lives. Their families are in need of God’s love and comfort. Pray that they will know they can run to the Father that loves them and truly cares.
- Cry out for the wind to stop and for winter rains to begin.
- Intercede for the firefighters and other emergency responders who are putting their lives in danger for the sake of the general public. Ask God to grant them grace and safety. Pray that homeowners will heed their warnings to evacuate, so the officers’ lives are not endangered trying save them.
- Look for practical ways to give to and serve those in the midst of the tragedy.
A prayer you can pray:
Father, I will weep with those who are weeping. As I watch videos and read news reports and see pictures and social media posts, my heart is breaking. It is hard to imagine the fear and devastation and pain of loss. This is so significant. May those in the midst of it that know You turn to You. May those who are not yet Yours turn to You. May You be the place they go for comfort in the storm – that very present help in time of trouble. We command the winds to stop. We call for rain! Grant the firefighters and emergency responders grace and strength to fight the blaze and help residents evacuate. God, let people heed the warnings to keep them safe! Show me how I can help minister to the victims, Jesus. Amen.
God will save Californians as they turn toward His love!
August 21, 2018
August 20, 2018
August 19, 2018