August 23, 2019
There is an Opioid Crisis in America
“From time to time, the Lord highlights situations in our nation that require concerted prayer in order to effect a breakthrough. There are things happening that are destroying our nation from within. One of the things that the Lord is highlighting, both in the news and through the prophets, is that there is an opioid epidemic in America. In fact, just earlier this month, Attorney General William Barr addressed this crisis in New Orleans.
“This opioid epidemic is affecting people of all races, places, and walks of life, and there are no signs of this tragedy diminishing. It is stealing lives, to say nothing about stealing finances and the very health they were meant to help with. We must cry out to God for the healing of America!
“‘In the late 1990s, pharmaceutical companies reassured the medical community that patients would not become addicted to opioid pain relievers, and healthcare providers began to prescribe them at greater rates.’1 By 2017, Health and Human Services (HHS) declared the opioid epidemic to be a public health emergency. Today, an average of 130 Americans die daily from an opioid overdose.2” (Cindy Jacobs)
“And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.” (James 5:15-16; NIV)
Give Him 15 minutes in prayer:
- Pray for wisdom and knowledge for America regarding prescription drugs.
- Pray for healing of this public health emergency.
- Pray that God will provide a solution to this epidemic.
- Pray that the pharmaceutical companies and the doctors responsible for this epidemic be held accountable.
- Declare, “For we do not have a high priest who is incapable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are, yet he did not sin.” (Hebrews 4:15; NET Bible)
A prayer you can pray:
Lord, You are the One that gives wisdom. From Your mouth come knowledge and understanding. Doctors and pharmacists thought they knew the best way to use these powerful drugs, but things have gotten way out of control. We have a staggering epidemic of addiction to these pain-killing drugs. It is a societal crisis. If we would simply ask You, we would have answers, but we have leaned on our own knowledge and understanding and now we have a mess. Heal us Lord. Deliver us. We need mass healing for this public emergency. Take hold of our hand and help us. Let us not fear, but know You are faithful to deliver when we ask You for help. Father, bring pharmaceutical companies and doctors into accountability for their casual response to this crisis. We look to You, instead, for we do not have a high priest who is incapable of empathizing with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are, yet He did not sin. Save our nation from this tremendous challenge, in Jesus’ name. Amen.
Heal us, Lord, and we will be healed! Save us and we will be saved!
- National Institute on Drug Abuse,”Opioid Overdose Crisis.” www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abuse/opioids/opioid-overdose-crisis, Aug. 13, 2019.
- HHS.gov, “The Opioid Epidemic by the numbers”. www.hhs.gov/opioids/about-the-epidemic/index.html, Aug. 13,2019.
Learn more about Cindy Jacobs here.
February 23, 2020
February 22, 2020
February 21, 2020