November 24, 2019
Thankful for a Prosperous Nation
Prosperity is measured in various different ways by economists, social scientists, financiers, and governments. It can be measured in GDP (gross domestic Product), in overall value of resources, in numbers of wealthy individuals, in amounts of money spent, in the value of intrinsic attributes, such as happiness, etc. Regardless, anyone living in the United States of America knows it is a prosperous nation. That doesn’t mean every person is prosperous. We definitely have the poor among us, and some people face challenges attaining the “American Dream”. Overall, however, this is a land of opportunity. Many from around the world dream of coming here and work hard to do so. Since the 2008 housing and market crashes, we have had an unprecedented increase in our economy. It is providing more jobs today than at any other time in our history. Wealth is being created here.
Many of us have more than enough to meet our needs and share with others. We give to support missionaries to go tell people about Jesus, plant churches, and minister to the felt needs of many worldwide. We give massive amounts to charities that spread the Gospel, feed the world’s hungry, provide medical assistance, education, clean water, entrepreneurship, and many other things. We are a giving nation.
Let’s look at how the Bible defines prosperity. In Deut. 8:18, the Word tells us to remember the Lord, because He is the One that gives us power to create wealth. In many places it tells us that God supplies our needs and provides for us. The Bible tells us that doing what the Bible says will show us how to become prosperous. (Do you know that there is more written about money than salvation in the Bible?) It tells us to work hard and honor the Lord in all of our labor. We are also to honor Him with the results, acknowledging that He gave it and giving a portion back to Him in tithes and offerings. We are not to be greedy, selfish, or complaining. We are to be thankful, trusting completely in Him. Individually, we can become prosperous in Him and together, we become a prosperous nation.
“And if you faithfully obey the voice of the Lord your God, being careful to do all his commandments that I command you today, the Lord your God will set you high above all the nations of the earth. And all these blessings shall come upon you and overtake you, if you obey the voice of the Lord your God.” (Deuteronomy 28:1-2; ESV)
Give Him 15 minutes in prayer:
- Let’s “remember the Lord today”. Thank Him for His goodness to you and your family. Spend some time and thank Him thoroughly for all He has given you – family, property, jobs, health or means to become healthy, church, friendships and other relationships, etc.
- Remove complaining from your heart and thank Him for your job or your family’s source of provision. Bless bosses, employees, corporate leadership, donors, customers, clients, the government or any others that source your living.
- Thank the Lord for our prosperous nation.
- Bless the wealthy and pray that they will come to know Jesus as their Savior and Provider. The Bible tells us this is rare and hard for them, as they have trouble seeing His importance in their lives. The wealthy, powerful, and influential often miss honoring Him because they feel self-made. They must learn to honor Him as King of Kings and Lord of Lords. They need our prayers.
- Intercede for the poor and those who have trouble finding their place in our economic structure. Pray they will come to know the love of God and that His love will provide for every place of lack.
A prayer you can pray:
God, You are good. You are so good to me. You are God Most High. You are the Maker of the heavens and the earth. You have created all things and by You they were created. It is not possible for me to lack any good thing, because I know You and You care for me. If You clothe the lilies of the field and feed the birds of the air, surely You can provide for me and my family. Why do I ever worry. Any financial troubles I may face are surely temporary, because You can give me what I need, direct me to know how to find provision or even create provision. You can put me in the exact right place at the exact right time to find what I need. I am so thankful today for so many things. I am living in a wealthy place. I am living in a prosperous nation. I am grateful for (name things off to the Lord that are specific to you).
Forgive my complaining about any resource You have given me. I am thankful for my job and those that provide my sustenance from it. You give to me and I can give to others. Throughout this nation, many are working and then giving to support others here and around the world. It’s not just for me that You prosper me. I pray that the wealthy realize this. Don’t let them hoard what they have been blessed with. Give them a heart to share what they have learned and multiply themselves. Show them how You have helped them. Reveal Jesus to the lost, both rich and poor, but especially to the rich who don’t often see a need for You. Let them honor You with their wealth, even as the poor give out of their need. Meet every need of those who cannot fully provide for themselves, Jesus. Save them and let them know the great compassion You have for them. Amen.
We are thankful to God that He has made us a prosperous nation. It is one that can provide for our citizens and share His love with others around the world.
August 14, 2020
August 13, 2020
August 12, 2020