Are We Fearmongers?
“Late last week, I wrote an article that caused a bit of a furious reaction in social-justice Twitter. Activists claimed I was lying, arguing in bad faith, and/or exaggerating the effect of California’s AB 2943, a bill that purports to declare ‘sexual orientation change efforts’ to be an ‘unlawful business practice.’… And I’m right. It can and would.” Here’s how: First, “the bill by its own terms applies to very broad categories of services and goods… ‘The following unfair methods of competition and unfair or deceptive acts or practices undertaken by any person in a transaction intended to result or that results in the sale or lease of goods or services to any consumer are unlawful.’ Second, a book (along with other written materials, like pamphlets or workbooks) fits within the very, very broad definition of goods. Basically, if you can buy it and move it (in other words, it’s not real estate), then it’s a good.” (David French)1
“And do this, understanding the present time: The hour has already come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light.” (Romans 13:11-12; NIV)
Give Him 15 minutes in prayer:
- Pray that blinders come off of Californians to see the blatant lies of the enemy.
- Tell any of your friends and family members who live in CA and love Jesus to call their state Senators and get them to vote against this bill! It has already passed in the State Assembly.
- 11 states – CO, HI, NY, MD, AZ, DE, MI, WY, WV, NH, PA – are contemplating a version of AB 2943, however, none as broad as the CA Assembly Bill. Four of those 11 – HI, MD, NY and NH – have started the process to make it law in their states. Maine is looking at a bill as broad as California’s. Intercede, educate yourself, make phone calls, write emails and letters, and get these bills off the table!
- If you do not live in one of the states listed above, intercede for them. Do not think you can be casual about this just because it’s not on your doorstep, or it soon could be!
A prayer you can pray:
Father, save California from this darkness. It is already leaching over into other states. What seemed impossible just a couple of years ago is now about to go mainstream. Can and will Christians be persecuted for our counseling and deliverance ministries in some states? Can and will books that Believers write on sexual orientation matters be pulled from shelves in some states? Are we being fearful or diligent? Should we just decide to accept the laws of the land and succumb to them, becoming enslaved to our own religiosity, or do we fight for righteousness and holiness with our prayers, phones, pens and votes? Get us off the defensive! In Jesus’ culture-transforming name, amen.
Wake up from your slumber, Church! Pray and act!
French, David, “Yes, California is on the Verge of Banning Some Christian Books, Here’s How”., NationalReview.com, 4/23/18. Accessed 6/8/18.
Where is California Headed?
It’s not about politics, it is about what pleases God. If ministers of the Gospel won’t stand up for and promote biblical values, then who is going to do it? California is a very significant state. A recent action, encouraged by younger, up-and-coming political progressives, is the passing of AB 2943, preventing counselors from advertising sexual orientation change therapies, as well as the related sale of books and materials. California already has some of the most liberal abortion laws in the nation. High taxes and unwarranted protections for certain people groups are already normal in the state. A number of Christians have jumped in to run for office, hoping to put the brakes on some of the current California Legislature’s actions and proposals. Believers need to get to the polls and put their vote where their prayers are. When is enough, enough, California?
“I will tell you, the one who goes through life with integrity and speaks truth with conviction, refusing to take part in fraud and abuse, whose hands are free of bribes, whose ears are covered to violent schemes, and whose eyes are shut to the temptations of evil. That one will survive and prosper on the heights of Zion and take comfort in the shelter of rock fortresses, and never be hungry, never thirsty. Ah, you will see for yourself the beauty of the One who rules over all.” (Isaiah 33:15-17a; VOICE)
Give Him 15 minutes in prayer:
- Intercede for California. 39.5 million people live in the state, making it the most populous. Laws passed here tend to be picked up by other states.
- Call for the righteous ones, lovers of God and His Word, to get up from their knees and into the polls, and vote for candidates promoting Biblical values.
- Ask God to get the next crop of His well-trained candidates ready to run for political office in California.
- Pray for Holy Spirit-inspired laws to be written in the hearts of those coming into office there.
A prayer you can pray:
Father, California needs a Turn-around! Godly men and women are crying out to you, running for office, and prayer walking their state in anticipation that You will reverse the stronghold of ungodly legislation there. We are all aware that the governmental activities in their state can overflow to other states in the nation, so we cry out together with them, “God, save California!” Let Believers there pray and vote! Get another generation of Your people ready to run in election after election. Fill their hearts with laws that will turn their state toward righteousness and justice, in the name of Jesus. Amen.
California will be saved!