What Happens Next?
Many Christians are wondering what happens next to confirm a Supreme Court nominee? This is a good time for a lesson on government processes. First of all, the basics come right out of the Constitution of the United States. The President considers recommendations from many sources, then he makes a decision on the one individual he believes will be the best choice. Once he has announced his nominee, all kinds of background checks and record collections will commence. There will be a few one-on-one meetings between the nominee and some key senators. The Senate Judiciary Committee will have all of this information gathered and presented to them for review and they will set a date for a hearing. Then, they will hold the hearing in which they can question (scrutinize) the nominee. Witnesses may be called to support or oppose the nominee, testifying regarding their personal character or prior actions on the bench. Finally, the Senate Judiciary Committee votes on the nominee and refers the matter to the full Senate for a vote. This could be a recommendation to confirm, to reject, or may go without an opinion. The full Senate debates and votes on the nominee, making a final decision. This whole process usually takes between 25 and 125 days. (To learn more click here.)
“The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil.” (Ecclesiastes 12:13-14; ESV)
Give Him 15 minutes in prayer:
- Learn all you can about governmental processes. They can provide timelines for prayer and other needed information. Here is information about the Supreme Court confirmation process. Here are the members of the Senate Judiciary Committee.
- Pray for the timing of the Senate Judiciary Committee’s hearing.
- Pray for the senators on the Committee to investigate thoroughly and know if Judge Kavanaugh is fully representing himself and his views. We only want God’s choice on the bench.
- Ask God to move on the hearts of the senators on the Committee and that they would be led to recommend or not depending on what they discover.
A prayer you can pray:
Father, teach me things I don’t know about our government’s processes. I don’t just need spiritual knowledge. I need knowledge of how the system is designed to work. That knowledge can help me know how to focus my intercession and when to pray. The next step in the process will be a discovery process. This is the critical time where natural knowledge will be presented. Holy Spirit, go to work and make the hearts of these men and women comfortable or uncomfortable as the answers to their questions unfold. Let every hidden thing be revealed. We don’t care about politics. We care about righteousness. We care that the nominee has right standing with You and alignment with Your Word. Grant wisdom and discernment, Jesus. Amen.
Man has his opinion about a good Justice, but God will cause His perfect will to come to pass!
Another Victory for Religious Freedom!
“A federal district court is blocking the federal government from enforcing the Obama abortion-pill mandate against Christian colleges in Indiana and California. ‘After reconsideration of their position, defendants with the federal government now agree that enforcement of the rules regarding the contraceptive mandate against employers with sincerely held religious objections would violate the RFRA (Religious Freedom Restoration Act) …’ the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana, South Bend Division, wrote in its order in Grace Schools v. Azar. The Obama-era mandate forces employers, regardless of their religious or moral convictions, to provide abortion-inducing drugs, sterilization, and contraception through their health plans under threat of heavy penalties. The Department of Justice, under the Trump administration, abandoned its defense of the flawed mandate… ‘Monday’s order fully affirms that freedom and provides permanent protection from the mandate,’ said ADF Senior Counsel Gregory S. Baylor. ‘These schools no longer have to fear being forced to pay fines for simply abiding by the Christian beliefs they teach and espouse…’ Another federal district court issued a similar order last month for four Christian universities in Oklahoma.”1
“Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” (Romans 12:2; ESV)
Give Him 15 minutes in prayer:
- Our courts are turning! Rejoice and thank the Lord!
- Notice that the federal government defendants reversed their own position! Thank the Lord that He is turning hearts toward righteousness in our government.
- Thank the Lord that our government is choosing Life! Ask God for His blessing on our nation, as a result.
- Pray for Christian colleges, churches, businesses, and agencies to become aware of this decision, so they can renegotiate the terms of their health insurance options and make sure they are not inadvertently still funding abortion through their premiums.
- Ask God to restore all funds lost to these schools from having to pursue this in court for years.
A prayer you can pray:
Wow, God! Persistence of these colleges has paid off, and even the federal government is now acknowledging that they cannot force Christian organizations to provide abortion options through the mandatory insurance they must provide their staff. God, bless America, as our government chooses life! Thank you that these schools pursued this until the government saw its error and decided “schools should no longer have to fear being forced to pay fines for simply abiding by the Christian beliefs they teach and espouse.” Restore the funds they lost as they fought for their religious freedom, which now affects us all. In fact, other Christian ministries and churches and schools should give them an offering for spearheading this cause for Christ! In the glorious name of Jesus, amen.
The government is having a change of heart and religious freedom is being restored to America!
1 Warren, Steve, “Federal Court Orders End of Abortion Pill Mandate at These Christian Colleges”. cbnnews.com, 6/6/18. Accessed 6/6/18.