Is Marriage on the Rocks?
“In San Francisco a few years ago, sat an imperiest judge who concluded that marriage, as it has existed for more than 5000 years on every continent and in every culture on the earth, is not rational and should be retooled. Although many fine men and women serve on the bench, this decision illustrates the heady abuse of power that is all too common among independent fiefdoms, known as judges. They rule like royal monarchs, and sitting on the top of the pyramid is the U.S. Supreme Court, which threatens the liberty that was purchased with the blood of countless men and women who died to secure it. How did this happen to us? How could such a great and freedom-loving people have allowed themselves to be dominated by a handful of unelected, unaccountable, arrogant, and often gutless judges, many of whom receive lifetime appointments and regularly circumvent the democratic process? It is a breathtaking and ominous development. Was this the desire of the founding fathers when they designed this great representative form of government? Hardly.” (James Dobson)1
“Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.” (Genesis 2:24; ESV)
Give Him 15 minutes in prayer:
- Declare, “Marriage is not defined by man, but by God alone!”
- Repent for Christians who have not honored their marriage covenants. This opens the door to the world’s judgements of the institution.
- Pray for every marriage you know, including your own.
- Pray for the strengthening of the relationships between husbands and wives in general.
- Ask God for America to once again honor marriage as being between one man and one woman. How sad that we even have to define it.
A prayer you can pray:
Father, I honor marriage as You created it. What a miracle to see one man and one woman enter into a one-flesh, life-long marriage covenant. Forgive the Church for not always honoring our marriage covenants. We have esteemed them too lightly and not understood covenant ourselves. The world, therefore, has mocked us and felt they could do a better job at defining what marriage could be. (Pray for every marriage you know, including your own.) Strengthen marriage in America. Let the covenants be honored. Let marriage between one man and one woman be desired and not rejected. Let our nation once again honor Your definition of marriage as the only definition of marriage, Jesus. Amen.
Marriage cannot be redefined by any judge! Marriage belongs to God!
1 Learn more about Dr. James Dobson here.
It’s a Victory for Religious Freedom!
“Today the U.S. Supreme Court ruled (7-2) that the government was wrong to punish Jack Phillips for living consistent with his beliefs. No one should be bullied or banished from the marketplace for peacefully living out their beliefs about marriage. We have long known that the free exercise of religion is in jeopardy in Colorado, but it was the personal persecution of Jack that brought this issue to the forefront of the nation. America is the only nation in the world that understands it’s citizens cannot truly be free if we are not able to exercise our own sincerely held beliefs. Our Founding Fathers enshrined our right to religious freedom in the First Amendment of our Constitution to make sure we have equal footing on a platform of freedom from which to live out our lives. While we are thankful for the favorable ruling, we need to stay vigilant.”1
“When the godly are in authority, the people rejoice. But when the wicked are in power, they groan.” (Proverbs 29:2; NLT)
Give Him 15 minutes in prayer:
- This is a day of rejoicing! Get up and shout! The Supreme Court of the United States of America upheld religious freedom, even though this is not the broad victory Believers had hoped for.
- Intercede for the return of everything Jack Phillips lost – time, money, reputation – everything the enemy tried to steal from him.
- Pray for Charlie Craig and Dave Mullins, who brought this case against Jack Phillips. Ask God to introduce them to the greatest love of all – Jesus Christ’s love for them.
- This was a case decided very specifically based on the laws of Colorado and the actions of the judges there. It will not necessarily transfer to other states and it is not a final word on the matter for the entire nation. Therefore, research, educate yourself, and intercede for all of those still fighting attacks against their Christian beliefs across the U.S.
A prayer you can pray:
Lord, we will take every step forward in the protection of our ability, as Christians, to live freely in our nation. All of our first amendment rights were violated when Jack Phillips was taken to court over his refusal to make a cake for a gay marriage. The ramifications for Believers could have been devastating to Christian business owners who could be asked to violate their religious beliefs, based on the outcome of this case. So, we rejoice and thank You that the Supreme Court voted 7-2 to support Jack. We forgive and intercede wholeheartedly for the salvation of Charlie Craig and Dave Mullins, whom You love. Keep these civil rights cases right in front of our eyes, Lord, so we can see religious freedom upheld firmly in America, In the name of Jesus, amen.
Righteousness, justice, and religious freedom will be fully secured in this land!
1 Colorado Family Action and CFA Foundation, “Religious Freedom Wins!” 6/4/18.